Having the best hook will help you in your endeavors of catching that huge fish that you dream about. There are several hooks on the market, made from different compounds that will help you to be successful in your fishing venture.
- Choosing the Right Hook for Your Needs- Choose the proper size hook for the fish that you wish to land. You certainly cannot catch a Marlin with a hook that is designed to catch a bass or sun fish. Determine the size of the hook that you will need by the size and type of bait that you are using. Know how many pounds of weight limits are needed for your fishing venture.
- Choose a Hook Based on the Water Type- There are hooks that are made for fresh water and ones that are made for salt water as well. If you are fishing in the ocean, choose a saltwater hook. These are made specifically to withstand the saltiness of the ocean without any corrosion.
- The Shape of The Hook- Choose a hook that is shaped for your needs. Some hooks are c or j-shaped, flies can be attached to some, weights and leads can also be attached as well. Choose a hook that is designed to catch the fish in its mouth and not in its gills or stomach area. Choosing the proper hook will help you to catch a fish properly, without damaging the fish in any way.
- The Gap- Choose a hook that has the proper space or gap between the hook and the hook shank. If you are fishing for small fish, the gap between the hook and hook shank does not have to be too wide. However, if you are hoping to catch some of the bigger game, you will need hooks that are fairly thick, and have a larger gap or space between the hook and hook shank.
- Single, Double, or Triple- Decide on whether you want to use a single, double, or triple hook for catching the fish before you start out on your fishing excursion. Again, the choice you select is dependent on what type of fishing you plan on doing.
So there you have it, a few things you should know about the best hooks before you think about fishing. Another important thing to consider is to check the sharpness of your hook. Some hooks are sharper than others and you can do a test by rubbing the hook across your nail to see if it leaves any marks. Check to see if the hook has any spring to it. This is done by protecting your hand by covering it up, push gently against the part of the hook where the point is located. You should be able to push it in gently and it should spring back into its proper position.
Keep these things in mind before you set out for your expedition and it will help you to be more successful in all of your fishing pursuits.