Curries, once popular mainly in India and in the UK, are gaining ground in the US as a favorite staple food – probably because of their notable versatility. The creamy curry recipe we have here is designed for mussels, but it works equally well with shrimp, clams, crayfish, or the day’s catch. And if you’re hesitant to give this fish dish a try because you’ve never been a fan of curries, take comfort in the fact that our mussels in creamy curry sauce recipe has been uniformly popular among those people who don’t typically like curries. So try it, and then tell us what you think in the comments.
- 1/2 c. minced shallots
- 2 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1.5 c. dry white wine or cooking wine
- 1 c. heavy cream
- 2 tsp. curry powder
- Dash of hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 32 fresh mussels, cleaned and debearded
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1/4 c. fresh minced parsley
- 1/4 c. finely chopped green onions
1. Cook shallots and garlic in wine over medium heat in a large saucepan until both are translucent and tender.
2. Stir in the cream, curry powder, and hot pepper flakes, then add the mussels to the cooking pot.
3. Cover to let the mussels steam until the shells open. Remove the cooked mussels with a slotted spoon and transfer them to a bowl, discarding any mussels that have not opened.
4. Whisk the butter into the sauce until fully incorporated, then turn the heat off and stir in the parsley and green onions.
5. Serve the clams and sauce immediately over freshly cooked rice.