Baby Shark Fry / Koutavakia – Yield: 4 Servings
1 Baby shark, weighing roughly 2 lbs
1/4 c. Tomato, finely chopped
1/4 c. Onion, finely diced
3 tsp. Olive oil
Vegetable oil sufficient for frying
1/4 c. Flour
2 Eggs, well beaten
Salt and pepper to taste
· If using baby shark, fillet the shark, remove the skin, and divide fillets into four pieces each. If using pre-cut shark steaks, divide into smaller chunks, as desired.
· In a skillet, sauté the diced onion in olive oil until translucent, then add chopped tomato and cook until the tomato has softened and begun to break apart (3 min.). Season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
· In a second skillet, heat vegetable oil over moderate heat until the surface begins to shimmer. Dredge shark chunks in flour, then coat in egg, and dredge in flour a second time.
· Brown shark for 3 min. on each side, then let cooked fish rest briefly on a paper towel to drain.
· Plate the shark fry. Pour the tomato and onion sauce over the fish, and serve while warm. Yum!