Fish Recipes: Grilled Salmon Served on Fennel Salad
For the salmon:
4 medium skinless salmon fillets
1 tbsp. melted butter
For the salad:
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 tsp. granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 c. olive oil
1 large fennel bulb
4 c. baby greens
1/2 c. slivered almonds, toasted
- With a microplane or grater, zest and then juice the citrus for the salmon. Combine the zests, and set aside. (The juice will be used in the salad dressing.)
- Preheat your barbecue to medium-hot. Brush salmon with melted butter, and place fish butter-side down for about 5 minutes or until grill marks appear. Turn salmon, and grill for another 5 minutes or until fish is flaky.
- Remove salmon from the barbecue and sprinkle each fillet with a pinch of zest. Serve hot or cool in refrigerator.
- To prepare the salad, combine the reserved juices with garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Add olive oil, whisk, and set aside.
- Section oranges. Cut green fronds from fennel and discard, then cut remaining bulb in half. Core the bulb, then finely slice using a mandolin or food processor.
- Toss orange sections, fennel, and salad greens with dressing. Place the salmon on the salad and garnish with almonds.